The 3 Steps Of Online Family Mediation
Online Video and/or Audio based family mediation can still lead to resolution of disputes.
Online video conferencing (via Skype or other online video conferencing programs) add a another dimension to telephone based family mediation. It allows the parties and the family mediator to interact with each other and to be aware of the emotions being displayed. Communication is the key in family mediation, listening, speaking and acknowledging each other.
Face to face family mediation is the most effective method of engaging in mediation but it is sometimes not practicable or advisable.
Online and telephone family mediation processes further demonstrate the flexibility of the family mediation process which can be as flexible as the parties and the mediator wish to make it. Compare that to litigation where you are told what to do and when to do it, at great cost! Gain control of your own future and mediate before you even think about court proceedings.
Why telephone and online video conferencing/family mediation is effective.
In family separations quite often there is a lack of trust involved which arises due to the circumstances of the separation. There are also other reasons why someone might not feel comfortable participating in a conventional face to face family mediation such as:
- Where there has been family violence during the relationship or since separation;
- Where domestic violence orders have been made by the court and the parties are unable to communicate effectively;
- Where a party may feel unsafe if exposed to the other party;
- Where the parties or one of the parties are unable to negotiate and doubt if they could stand up for themselves or their children needs during negotiations;
Other reasons why distance mediation and family dispute resolution is a practical and useful process includes where the parties are:
- just separated by distance;
- where each of the parties and their legal representatives are at different locations making a face to face or mediation in the same building impossible.
The traditional face to face method of family mediation has its advantages but also inherent disadvantages when you consider the above circumstances in which distance family mediation is a better option.
First if you are able to communicate with the other party, discuss the process, refer them to MediateResolve.com.au – if all parties have agreed to mediation a time and date will be arranged. If a party is to be invited then start with a mediation information session and click on the Book online appointment link below. If an invitation is issued to the other party and is accepted, the arrangements are put into place to enable the mediation to take place as quickly as possible, usually within a week or two.