Refer your client directly or contact me to arrange a family mediation to resolve your client’s property and parenting issues.
Family dispute resolution (parenting) invitations are sent promptly, usually same day, and mediation can be arranged subject to availability of the parties and lawyers within a week. I don’t promise success or boast 100% success rate simply because that is not what the mediation process is all about (and it is also contrary to the National Mediation Accreditation rules). What I do promise is that I will do my very best to assist you and your client reach an agreement and resolve their parenting and property settlement issues.
Randal Binnie (QLS member) has been a solicitor in Queensland since 1992 and has been mediating family disputes and other matters ever since. Mediation services offered to solicitors in Queensland are flexible and cost effective. Not only can the mediator’s services be engaged to conduct a mediation on a set day, either for a half or full day, but the mediation process can be conducted over several different days, in person, in a shuttle format, by telephone or online video conferencing. Family Mediation services are affordable and accessible anywhere in Queensland. If you are in a remote area why not mediate online or by telephone with a solicitor family mediator and family dispute resolution practitioner
In Parenting matters:
- Contact Randal to issue an invitation to mediate parenting matters as early as possible when parenting arrangements are in dispute. It is not necessary to provide a list of mediators for the other party or lawyer to choose. An unnessary selection process will cause delay which often ends in an increase in tension and sometimes leads to domestic violence issues/orders arising out of the frustration of having unresolved parenting arrangements.
- An Invitation to attend family dispute resolution will issue promptly upon request (full details of the parties and the children will be required together with any information about the presence or allegations of family violence);
- Mediation can be arranged to take place, often within 14 days or sooner if urgent, at venues suitable for the parties (at the parties cost).
In Family Law Property Settlement Matters:
- Involve a mediator early in the process. Suggest to the other lawyer (or the self represented litigant) that an initial short meeting with the mediator to have the parties address disclosure and valuation issues will save both time, stress (yours and your clients‘), and expense. Why shouldn’t those issues be dispensed with as quickly as possible rather than taking weeks or sometimes months in correspondence between the parties solicitors. That process would involve the mediator facilitating communication between both the parties and their respective solicitors, reaching agreement on and appointing valuers, accountants or other necessary professionals.
- Timing of mediation is crucial in some cases. Don’t try to mediate until you have valuations or at least firm agreed values and that adequate disclosure has been provided. (Consider the early involvement of mediation to accomplish both.)
- Educate your client about mediation – Do they know the difference between facilitative and evaluative mediation processes and arbitration? What dispute resolution process might best suit them. Do they want to achieve their own outcomes with the assistance of both the mediator and yourself?
Generally, consider family mediation even where there are allegations of family violence. Don’t forget that all of the above processes can be conducted by video conference and/or telephone either jointly or in separate meetings. (Find out more about online and telephone mediations by reading Online and telephone mediation works too
Your client can access more information about mediation and what it can achieve for them by reading Mediation – what is it and why should I do it? or otherwise refer them to Mediate Resolve website by sending them the link to the site.
Mediation services are available in general, visit the Other Services area.
By the way Randal is happy to briefly discuss the mediation process and introduce himself to your clients either personally at the office or by telephone and/or online video conferencing. Call, Skype or email to discuss your particular client’s needs.