Randal Binnie, a partner in the firm, is a Queensland Notary Public having been appointed by the Archbishop of Canterbury in 2007.
The Notary Public is a trusted position whose Notarial acts are recognised in legal systems world wide.
If you are:
- SENDING CERTIFIED COPIES OF DOCUMENTS OVERSEAS; or
- SIGNING A DOCUMENT FOR OVERSEAS USE; or
- YOU ARE OVERSEAS AND NEED NOTARIAL SERVICES IN AUSTRALIA
then most likely you need a Notary Public. You may need obtain an Apostille or Authentication which are affixed by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. The Department charges fees based upon each document at $81. Randal can reduce the costs you will incur in obtaining an Apostille or Authentication some circumstances. Randal can advise you about Apostilles and Authentications at the time of your appointment.
You can upload a copy of your documents during the online appointment process to obtain a quote for the necessary services. Alternatively, email your query regarding the notarial services you require. The Notary can provide you with advice at the time of your appointment whether you will need an Apostille or an Authentication which are issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) but you need to ascertain the requirements of the country in which the documents are going to be used.
A special note about Australian University degrees – the Notary will provide a certified copy of your degree and attach a separate Notarial Certificate verifying that the degree was issued to you. This can be done by the Notary confirming the issue via the online certification portal of the relevant university or by direct enquiries with that University if necessary. Otherwise your degree or award must be verified and signed as a ‘true and accurate record’ by the central student administration office of the issuing institution before attending the Notary.
WHAT IS A NOTARY?
A definition: “…. a notary is a practising lawyer who holds a unique public office of trust and fidelity, and who, among other things, has the internationally recognised power and authority to prepare certificates of Australian law, and deeds and other instruments of all kinds, authenticated by his or her signature and official seal in a manner which renders them acceptable to the judicial or other public authorities in the countries in which they are produced.” p37 Principles of Notarial Practice, Peter Zablud, Notary Public 2005 – Psophidian Press.
Our Notary Services are provided at our Springwood office. The fees charges are reasonable and your documents can be dealt with at the time of your appointment. You can seek a quote of the expected fees before or at the time of your appointment.
You will need to attend our offices personally where your identity needs to be established e.g. where you are signing documents in the presence of the Notary, so don’t forget to bring your identification with you of at least your passport and driver’s licence.
Notarial services include:
- Witnessing affidavits, statutory declarations, powers of attorney, contracts, international Wills and other documents for use in Australia and internationally
- Certification of copy documents for use in Australia and internationally
- Certification of University testamurs and other educational documents
- Certification of original documents for production overseas
- Preparation and certification of powers of attorney, wills, deeds, contracts and other legal documents for use internationally
- Preparation of Life Certificates – identification of a person and a statement that they are alive
- Acknowledgements for use in the USA
- Administering of oaths for use in Australia and internationally
- Exemplification of official documents for use internationally
- Preparation of ships’ protests
- Noting and protesting of bills of exchange
- Preparation of International Wills